Zibi rescues point for Urban Warriors

A goal two minutes from time by substitute Anele Zibi rescued a point for Ajax Cape Town in their Castle Premiership game against SuperSport United played at the Newlands Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Urban Warriors dominated long periods of play but were not able to turn their possession advantage into goals - either through poor finishing or good work by United keeper Calvin Marlin.

Matsatsantsa enjoyed the first chance of the game in the 7th minute when a quality ball was whipped in from the right hand flank.

The diminutive Daniel Matsau was well positioned at the far post and looked certain to score, but home keeper Moeneeb Josephs pull led off a brilliant close range save to keep the scores level.

Two minutes a speculative overhead kick by Wilfred Mugeyi nearly caught Marlin off guard, but the former Ajax goalie recovered just in time.

From the restart the ball went straight up the ground and Aubin Takutchie squared the ball to Ace Ntsoelengoe, who sidefooted home from eight yards out to put Pitso Mosimane's side in the lead.

In the 20th minute some neat interplay between Mugeyi and Mulekayi Kanku resulted in the latter sending in a dangerous cross, but unfortunately for the Warriors there was no one positioned to steer the ball home.

From this stage of the game onwards the game was dominated almost entirely by the team in red and white, with SuperSport relying only on occasional counter attacks.

To emphasize this point Brett Evans, Alfred Phiri, Bradley August and Shane Poggenpoel all had opportunities to score before the half-time break, but none of them were able to get the ball past Marlin.

This trend continued in the second half - Firstly Tsholola Tshinyma was guilty of shooting high over the bar from only eight metres out in the 72nd minute..

Next up to waste an opportunity was Kanku, whose shot from outside the box in the 80th minute flew into the stands, while Brent Carelse came close to sneaking in a header at the near post.

As the match moved into the final five minutes the pressure by Ajax became relentless as the passionate home support urged their hero's on.

Kanku came agonisingly close to answering their call when his deflected shot looped onto the crossbar before bouncing back into play.

The effort put in by Gordon Igesund's men finally paid dividends in the 88th minute when a route one ball from Josephs was flicked into the path of Zibi, who arrived at the far post to squeeze the ball past United's substitute keeper Grant Johnson.

The Urban Warriors threw everything they had into the last few minutes and both Poggenpoel and Mugeyi could have earned them maximum points, but it was not to be as Johnson denied the former, while the latter's volley flew over the crossbar.

Coach Igesund would have been frustrated at his charges inability to convert their chances, but will at least take some consolation from the fact that their main rivals, Kaizer Chiefs, also dropped two points by drawing against Jomo Cosmos.

His team remain one point above the Amakhosi in second position, while United move up into sixth place.

More about Ajax Cape Town on the club's web site