Urban Warriors share spoils with Amakhosi

Ajax Cape Town and Kaizer Chiefs played out to a goalless draw in an entertaining top-of-the-table Castle Premiership clash played at a packed Newlands Stadium on Wednesday evening.

The game kicked off nearly 45 minutes late due to a large number of fans still being outside the stadium at the scheduled 7-30pm kick-off.

It was the home team who enjoyed the earlier of the exchanges with the first chance of the game falling to Cyrille Mubiala in the fifth minute when he rose well to meet a corner from Brett Evans, but his header flashed narrowly wide of the upright.

Chiefs' first chance fell to David Radebe in the 11th minute, but the striker's 30-yard shot lacked the power to trouble Ajax keeper Moenneb Josephs.

In the 15th minute Wilfred Mugeyi came close for the team in red and white with a header following a flowing move down the right flank and a minute later he turned provider to put Evans through on goal, but Brian Baloyi did well to rush off his line and smother the ball.

At this stage of the game the match was being played at a high pace with both teams looking to win the midfield battle for supremacy, with Ajax skipper Alfred Phiri and the tenacious Zimbabwean Tenashe Nengomashe of Chiefs both refusing to give an inch.

With half an hour of the game gone Chiefs squandered what turned out to be the best two chances of the game.

Firstly, a mistake in the Ajax engine room saw Patrick Mayo being released down the right, who in turn unselfishly fed Radebe.

Radebe found himself with only Josephs to beat, but the Urban Warriors custodian did brilliantly to rush off his line and tip the shot over the crossbar.

A minute later Mayo crafted out another opportunity when he made space for himself on the right flank and floated in an accurate cross right onto the feet of John 'Shoes' Moshoeu, but the veteran blasted his shot over the crossbar from only seven yards out.

In the 40th minute, Junior Khanye, who had been igniting the Amakhosi faithful all night with his tricky footwork, once again showed some neat touches in the midfield before attempting an audacious chip from all of 40-yards out, which only cleared the crossbar by a foot or so.

In the 51st minute Khanye was at it again when he left a number of defenders trailing in his wake, but he was not given the opportunity of testing Josephs as his team-mate, Stanton Fredericks took the ball off him before firing in a tame shot.

The next chance of the game again fell to the diminutive midfielder when he struck a powerful shot from the right-hand side of the box, but his effort was well wide of target.

Ajax coach Gordon Igesund then brought on Nathan Paulse in the place of Mugeyi and the move nearly paid dividends when the gangly strike used his height to flick on a free-kick into the path of Mulekalayi Kanku, who was just not able to arrive at the far post in time to steer the ball home.

Paulse again turned provider in the 85th minute when he nodded on a ball from Josephs in the direction of a goal-bound Grant Igesund, but the latter just failed to shake off the intentions of his marker and was unable to get a shot in.

In the 88th minute of the game Moshoeu enjoyed the last good chance of the game when he found himself in space on the edge of his opponent's box, but instead of being direct and going for goals he tried to pick out Radebe instead, which proved to be the wrong option as the Ajax defence intercepted the ball.

At the end of the day the result was a fair one as both teams enjoyed a similar amount of goal opportunities and ball possession.

Chiefs remain in second position - one position above their Cape counterparts, but only on goal difference.

The teams will have a chance to exact revenge against each other when they clash in an Absa Cup second round tie at the end of the month.

More about Ajax Cape Town on the web site of the club.