Brave Ajax Go Down To Slick Chiefs

Kaizer Chiefs have moved into the semifinals of the Coca-Cola Cup after a hard-fought 3-2 victory over a brave Ajax Cape Town side at Ellis Park on Saturday afternoon

The entertaining encounter was watched by FIFA inspectors, in the country to view facilities ahead of the May announcement of the country who will host the 2010 World Cup.

The game got off to a lively start, with Ajax's Josep Ngake earning himself a yellow card for a over-robust challenge.

Visiting goalkeeper Moeneeb Josephs was forced into a great save at the feet of Chiefs' Arthur Zwane after the midfielder was put through by Jabu Pule for the first real chance of the game.

Zwane made amends on 14 minutes as he was put clean through on the right and he coolly slotted the ball under the exposed Josephs. First impressions were it looked offside, but replays show it was a good decision from the match officials.

Ajax were level just ten minutes later as Wilfred Mugeyi latched onto a superb through-pass from Ngake that split the Chiefs defence, and the former Bush Bucks star slotted home passed the helpless Brian Baloyi.

Five minutes later David Radebe found space in the Ajax box after another good ball from Pule and he finished past Josephs to restore the home side's lead.

The amazing run of scoring continued on 35 minutes as Anele Zibi levelled again for the visitors as his shot from the edge of the area deflected off Patrick Mabedi and past the stranded Baloyi.

Ngake had a great chance to put Ajax ahead on 41 minutes, but his shot from eight yards was blocked, after he was set up superbly by Mugeyi. Zibi then shot just over from 30 yards as Ajax pushed forward in numbers.

Afetr the break, Ajax almost scored twice in the space of a few seconds. Mugeyi's header from the centre of the penalty area cannoned off the crossbar and his volley from the rebound flashed inches wide.

Josephs was then forced into an outstanding save from a Radebe header that had the crowd on their feet, before Shane Poggenpoel was booked for crashing into the back of Chiefs striker Patrick Mayo.

The decisive goal finally came on 68 minutes as Mayo fired home after the Ajax defence went AWOL again.

Kanku has then given two opportunities to shoot for Ajax when well-placed, but his hesitation allowed the covering defence to come across and clear the danger.

The game ended in high drama as Poggenpoel received a red card for a tussle with former Ajax man David Kannemeyer, who also received his marching orders.

More about Ajax Cape Town on the club's web site .